1Hear, [O] sons, the instruction of a father, And give attention that you may gain understanding,
1眾子啊,要聽父親的教訓,留心得知聰明。
2For I give you sound teaching; Do not abandon my instruction.
2因我所給你們的是好教訓;不可離棄我的法則(或譯:指教)。
3When I was a son to my father, Tender and the only son in the sight of my mother,
3我在父親面前為孝子,在母親眼中為獨一的嬌兒。
4Then he taught me and said to me, 'Let your heart hold fast my words; Keep my commandments and live;
4父親教訓我說:你心要存記我的言語,遵守我的命令,便得存活。
5Acquire wisdom! Acquire understanding! Do not forget nor turn away from the words of my mouth.
5要得智慧,要得聰明,不可忘記,也不可偏離我口中的言語。
6'Do not forsake her, and she will guard you; Love her, and she will watch over you.
6不可離棄智慧,智慧就護衛你;要愛他,他就保守你。
7'The beginning of wisdom [is]: Acquire wisdom; And with all your acquiring, get understanding.
7智慧為首;所以,要得智慧。在你一切所得之內必得聰明.(或譯:用你一切所得的去換聰明)。
8'Prize her, and she will exalt you; She will honor you if you embrace her.
8高舉智慧,他就使你高升;懷抱智慧,他就使你尊榮。
9'She will place on your head a garland of grace; She will present you with a crown of beauty.'
9他必將華冠加在你頭上,把榮冕交給你。
10Hear, my son, and accept my sayings And the years of your life will be many.
10我兒,你要聽受我的言語,就必延年益壽。
11I have directed you in the way of wisdom; I have led you in upright paths.
11我已指教你走智慧的道,引導你行正直的路。
12When you walk, your steps will not be impeded; And if you run, you will not stumble.
12你行走,腳步必不致狹窄;你奔跑,也不致跌倒。
13Take hold of instruction; do not let go. Guard her, for she is your life.
13要持定訓誨,不可放鬆;必當謹守,因為他是你的生命。
14Do not enter the path of the wicked And do not proceed in the way of evil men.
14不可行惡人的路;不要走壞人的道。
15Avoid it, do not pass by it; Turn away from it and pass on.
15要躲避,不可經過;要轉身而去。
16For they cannot sleep unless they do evil; And they are robbed of sleep unless they make [someone] stumble.
16這等人若不行惡,不得睡覺;不使人跌倒,睡臥不安;
17For they eat the bread of wickedness And drink the wine of violence.
17因為他們以奸惡吃餅,以強暴喝酒。
18But the path of the righteous is like the light of dawn, That shines brighter and brighter until the full day.
18但義人的路好像黎明的光,越照越明,直到日午。
19The way of the wicked is like darkness; They do not know over what they stumble.
19惡人的道好像幽暗,自己不知因甚麼跌倒。
20My son, give attention to my words; Incline your ear to my sayings.
20我兒,要留心聽我的言詞,側耳聽我的話語,
21Do not let them depart from your sight; Keep them in the midst of your heart.
21都不可離你的眼目,要存記在你心中。
22For they are life to those who find them And health to all their body.
22因為得著他的,就得了生命,又得了醫全體的良藥。
23Watch over your heart with all diligence, For from it [flow] the springs of life.
23你要保守你心,勝過保守一切(或譯:你要切切保守你心),因為一生的果效是由心發出。
24Put away from you a deceitful mouth And put devious speech far from you.
24你要除掉邪僻的口,棄絕乖謬的嘴。
25Let your eyes look directly ahead And let your gaze be fixed straight in front of you.
25你的眼目要向前正看;你的眼睛(原文是皮)當向前直觀。
26Watch the path of your feet And all your ways will be established.
26要修平你腳下的路,堅定你一切的道。
27Do not turn to the right nor to the left; Turn your foot from evil.
27不可偏向左右;要使你的腳離開邪惡。