1Then Eliphaz the Temanite answered,
1提幔人以利法回答說:
2'If one ventures a word with you, will you become impatient? But who can refrain from speaking?
2人若想與你說話,你就厭煩麼?但誰能忍住不說呢?
3'Behold you have admonished many, And you have strengthened weak hands.
3你素來教導許多的人,又堅固軟弱的手。
4'Your words have helped the tottering to stand, And you have strengthened feeble knees.
4你的言語曾扶助那將要跌倒的人;你又使軟弱的膝穩固。
5'But now it has come to you, and you are impatient; It touches you, and you are dismayed.
5但現在禍患臨到你,你就昏迷,挨近你,你便驚惶。
6'Is not your fear [of God] your confidence, And the integrity of your ways your hope?
6你的倚靠不是在你敬畏神麼?你的盼望不是在你行事純正麼?
7'Remember now, who [ever] perished being innocent? Or where were the upright destroyed?
7請你追想:無辜的人有誰滅亡?正直的人在何處剪除?
8'According to what I have seen, those who plow iniquity And those who sow trouble harvest it.
8按我所見,耕罪孽、種毒害的人都照樣收割。
9'By the breath of God they perish, And by the blast of His anger they come to an end.
9神一出氣,他們就滅亡;神一發怒,他們就消沒。
10'The roaring of the lion and the voice of the [fierce] lion, And the teeth of the young lions are broken.
10獅子的吼叫和猛獅的聲音盡都止息;少壯獅子的牙齒也都敲掉。
11'The lion perishes for lack of prey, And the whelps of the lioness are scattered.
11老獅子因絕食而死;母獅之子也都離散。
12'Now a word was brought to me stealthily, And my ear received a whisper of it.
12我暗暗地得了默示;我耳朵也聽其細微的聲音。
13'Amid disquieting thoughts from the visions of the night, When deep sleep falls on men,
13在思念夜中、異象之間,世人沉睡的時候,
14Dread came upon me, and trembling, And made all my bones shake.
14恐懼、戰兢臨到我身,使我百骨打戰。
15'Then a spirit passed by my face; The hair of my flesh bristled up.
15有靈從我面前經過,我身上的毫毛直立。
16'It stood still, but I could not discern its appearance; A form [was] before my eyes; [There was] silence, then I heard a voice:
16那靈停住,我卻不能辨其形狀;有影像在我眼前。我在靜默中聽見有聲音說:
17'Can mankind be just before God? Can a man be pure before his Maker?
17必死的人豈能比神公義麼?人豈能比造他的主潔淨麼?
18'He puts no trust even in His servants; And against His angels He charges error.
18主不信靠他的臣僕,並且指他的使者為愚昧;
19'How much more those who dwell in houses of clay, Whose foundation is in the dust, Who are crushed before the moth!
19何況那住在土房、根基在塵土裡、被蠹蟲所毀壞的人呢?
20'Between morning and evening they are broken in pieces; Unobserved, they perish forever.
20早晚之間,就被毀滅,永歸無有,無人理會。
21'Is not their tent-cord plucked up within them? They die, yet without wisdom.'
21他帳棚的繩索豈不從中抽出來呢?他死,且是無智慧而死。