1'However now, Job, please hear my speech, And listen to all my words.
1約伯啊,請聽我的話,留心聽我一切的言語。
2'Behold now, I open my mouth, My tongue in my mouth speaks.
2我現在開口,用舌發言。
3'My words are [from] the uprightness of my heart, And my lips speak knowledge sincerely.
3我的言語要發明心中所存的正直;我所知道的,我嘴唇要誠實地說出。
4'The Spirit of God has made me, And the breath of the Almighty gives me life.
4神的靈造我;全能者的氣使我得生。
5'Refute me if you can; Array yourselves before me, take your stand.
5你若回答我,就站起來,在我面前陳明。
6'Behold, I belong to God like you; I too have been formed out of the clay.
6我在神面前與你一樣,也是用土造成。
7'Behold, no fear of me should terrify you, Nor should my pressure weigh heavily on you.
7我不用威嚴驚嚇你,也不用勢力重壓你。
8'Surely you have spoken in my hearing, And I have heard the sound of [your] words:
8你所說的,我聽見了,也聽見你的言語,說:
9'I am pure, without transgression; I am innocent and there is no guilt in me.
9我是清潔無過的,我是無辜的;在我裡面也沒有罪孽。
10'Behold, He invents pretexts against me; He counts me as His enemy.
10神找機會攻擊我,以我為仇敵,
11'He puts my feet in the stocks; He watches all my paths.'
11把我的腳上了木狗,窺察我一切的道路。
12'Behold, let me tell you, you are not right in this, For God is greater than man.
12我要回答你說:你這話無理,因神比世人更大。
13'Why do you complain against Him That He does not give an account of all His doings?
13你為何與他爭論呢?因他的事都不對人解說?
14'Indeed God speaks once, Or twice, [yet] no one notices it.
14神說一次、兩次,世人卻不理會。
15'In a dream, a vision of the night, When sound sleep falls on men, While they slumber in their beds,
15人躺在床上沉睡的時候,神就用夢和夜間的異象,
16Then He opens the ears of men, And seals their instruction,
16開通他們的耳朵,將當受的教訓印在他們心上,
17That He may turn man aside [from his] conduct, And keep man from pride;
17好叫人不從自己的謀算,不行驕傲的事(原文是將驕傲向人隱藏),
18He keeps back his soul from the pit, And his life from passing over into Sheol.
18攔阻人不陷於坑裡,不死在刀下。
19'Man is also chastened with pain on his bed, And with unceasing complaint in his bones;
19人在床上被懲治,骨頭中不住地疼痛,
20So that his life loathes bread, And his soul favorite food.
20以致他的口厭棄食物,心厭惡美味。
21'His flesh wastes away from sight, And his bones which were not seen stick out.
21他的肉消瘦,不得再見;先前不見的骨頭都凸出來。
22'Then his soul draws near to the pit, And his life to those who bring death.
22他的靈魂臨近深坑;他的生命近於滅命的。
23'If there is an angel [as] mediator for him, One out of a thousand, To remind a man what is right for him,
23一千天使中,若有一個作傳話的與神同在,指示人所當行的事,
24Then let him be gracious to him, and say, 'Deliver him from going down to the pit, I have found a ransom';
24神就給他開恩,說:救贖他免得下坑;我已經得了贖價。
25Let his flesh become fresher than in youth, Let him return to the days of his youthful vigor;
25他的肉要比孩童的肉更嫩;他就返老還童。
26Then he will pray to God, and He will accept him, That he may see His face with joy, And He may restore His righteousness to man.
26他禱告神,神就喜悅他,使他歡呼朝見神的面;神又看他為義。
27'He will sing to men and say, 'I have sinned and perverted what is right, And it is not proper for me.
27他在人前歌唱說:我犯了罪,顛倒是非,這竟與我無益。
28'He has redeemed my soul from going to the pit, And my life shall see the light.'
28神救贖我的靈魂免入深坑;我的生命也必見光。
29'Behold, God does all these oftentimes with men,
29神兩次、三次向人行這一切的事,
30To bring back his soul from the pit, That he may be enlightened with the light of life.
30為要從深坑救回人的靈魂,使他被光照耀,與活人一樣。
31'Pay attention, O Job, listen to me; Keep silent, and let me speak.
31約伯啊,你當側耳聽我的話,不要作聲,等我講說。
32'[Then] if you have anything to say, answer me; Speak, for I desire to justify you.
32你若有話說,就可以回答我;你只管說,因我願以你為是。
33'If not, listen to me; Keep silent, and I will teach you wisdom.'
33若不然,你就聽我說;你不要作聲,我便將智慧教訓你。