1And Job again took up his discourse and said,
1約伯又接著說:
2'Oh that I were as in months gone by, As in the days when God watched over me;
2惟願我的景況如從前的月份,如神保守我的日子。
3When His lamp shone over my head, [And] by His light I walked through darkness;
3那時他的燈照在我頭上;我藉他的光行過黑暗。
4As I was in the prime of my days, When the friendship of God [was] over my tent;
4我願如壯年的時候:那時我在帳棚中,神待我有密友之情;
5When the Almighty was yet with me, [And] my children were around me;
5全能者仍與我同在;我的兒女都環繞我。
6When my steps were bathed in butter, And the rock poured out for me streams of oil!
6奶多可洗我的腳;磐石為我出油成河。
7'When I went out to the gate of the city, When I took my seat in the square,
7我出到城門,在街上設立座位;
8The young men saw me and hid themselves, And the old men arose [and] stood.
8少年人見我而迴避,老年人也起身站立;
9'The princes stopped talking And put [their] hands on their mouths;
9王子都停止說話,用手摀口;
10The voice of the nobles was hushed, And their tongue stuck to their palate.
10首領靜默無聲,舌頭貼住上膛。
11'For when the ear heard, it called me blessed, And when the eye saw, it gave witness of me,
11耳朵聽我的,就稱我有福;眼睛看我的,便稱讚我;
12Because I delivered the poor who cried for help, And the orphan who had no helper.
12因我拯救哀求的困苦人和無人幫助的孤兒。
13'The blessing of the one ready to perish came upon me, And I made the widow's heart sing for joy.
13將要滅亡的為我祝福;我也使寡婦心中歡樂。
14'I put on righteousness, and it clothed me; My justice was like a robe and a turban.
14我以公義為衣服,以公平為外袍和冠冕。
15'I was eyes to the blind And feet to the lame.
15我為瞎子的眼,瘸子的腳。
16'I was a father to the needy, And I investigated the case which I did not know.
16我為窮乏人的父;素不認識的人,我查明他的案件。
17'I broke the jaws of the wicked And snatched the prey from his teeth.
17我打破不義之人的牙床,從他牙齒中奪了所搶的。
18'Then I thought, 'I shall die in my nest, And I shall multiply [my] days as the sand.
18我便說:我必死在家中(原文是窩中),必增添我的日子,多如塵沙。
19'My root is spread out to the waters, And dew lies all night on my branch.
19我的根長到水邊;露水終夜霑在我的枝上。
20'My glory is [ever] new with me, And my bow is renewed in my hand.'
20我的榮耀在身上增新;我的弓在手中日強。
21'To me they listened and waited, And kept silent for my counsel.
21人聽見我而仰望,靜默等候我的指教。
22'After my words they did not speak again, And my speech dropped on them.
22我說話之後,他們就不再說;我的言語像雨露滴在他們身上。
23'They waited for me as for the rain, And opened their mouth as for the spring rain.
23他們仰望我如仰望雨,又張開口如切慕春雨。
24'I smiled on them when they did not believe, And the light of my face they did not cast down.
24他們不敢自信,我就向他們含笑;他們不使我臉上的光改變。
25'I chose a way for them and sat as chief, And dwelt as a king among the troops, As one who comforted the mourners.
25我為他們選擇道路,又坐首位;我如君王在軍隊中居住,又如弔喪的安慰傷心的人。