1Then Eliphaz the Temanite responded,
1提幔人以利法回答說:
2'Can a vigorous man be of use to God, Or a wise man be useful to himself?
2人豈能使神有益呢?智慧人但能有益於己。
3'Is there any pleasure to the Almighty if you are righteous, Or profit if you make your ways perfect?
3你為人公義,豈叫全能者喜悅呢?你行為完全,豈能使他得利呢?
4'Is it because of your reverence that He reproves you, That He enters into judgment against you?
4豈是因你敬畏他就責備你、審判你麼?
5'Is not your wickedness great, And your iniquities without end?
5你的罪惡豈不是大麼?你的罪孽也沒有窮盡;
6'For you have taken pledges of your brothers without cause, And stripped men naked.
6因你無故強取弟兄的物為當頭,剝去貧寒人的衣服。
7'To the weary you have given no water to drink, And from the hungry you have withheld bread.
7困乏的人,你沒有給他水喝;飢餓的人,你沒有給他食物。
8'But the earth belongs to the mighty man, And the honorable man dwells in it.
8有能力的人就得地土;尊貴的人也住在其中。
9'You have sent widows away empty, And the strength of the orphans has been crushed.
9你打發寡婦空手回去,折斷孤兒的膀臂。
10'Therefore snares surround you, And sudden dread terrifies you,
10因此,有網羅環繞你,有恐懼忽然使你驚惶;
11Or darkness, so that you cannot see, And an abundance of water covers you.
11或有黑暗蒙蔽你,並有洪水淹沒你。
12'Is not God [in] the height of heaven? Look also at the distant stars, how high they are!
12神豈不是在高天麼?你看星宿何其高呢!
13'You say, 'What does God know? Can He judge through the thick darkness?
13你說:神知道甚麼?他豈能看透幽暗施行審判呢?
14'Clouds are a hiding place for Him, so that He cannot see; And He walks on the vault of heaven.'
14密雲將他遮蓋,使他不能看見;他周遊穹蒼。
15'Will you keep to the ancient path Which wicked men have trod,
15你要依從上古的道麼?這道是惡人所行的。
16Who were snatched away before their time, Whose foundations were washed away by a river?
16他們未到死期,忽然除滅;根基毀壞,好像被江河沖去。
17'They said to God, 'Depart from us!' And 'What can the Almighty do to them?'
17他們向神說:離開我們罷!又說:全能者能把我們怎麼樣呢?
18'Yet He filled their houses with good [things]; But the counsel of the wicked is far from me.
18哪知神以美物充滿他們的房屋;但惡人所謀定的離我好遠。
19'The righteous see and are glad, And the innocent mock them,
19義人看見他們的結局就歡喜;無辜的人嗤笑他們,
20[Saying], 'Truly our adversaries are cut off, And their abundance the fire has consumed.'
20說:那起來攻擊我們的果然被剪除,其餘的都被火燒滅。
21'Yield now and be at peace with Him; Thereby good will come to you.
21你要認識神,就得平安;福氣也必臨到你。
22'Please receive instruction from His mouth And establish His words in your heart.
22你當領受他口中的教訓,將他的言語存在心裡。
23'If you return to the Almighty, you will be restored; If you remove unrighteousness far from your tent,
23你若歸向全能者,從你帳棚中遠除不義,就必得建立。
24And place [your] gold in the dust, And [the gold of] Ophir among the stones of the brooks,
24要將你的珍寶丟在塵土裡,將俄斐的黃金丟在溪河石頭之間;
25Then the Almighty will be your gold And choice silver to you.
25全能者就必為你的珍寶,作你的寶銀。
26'For then you will delight in the Almighty And lift up your face to God.
26你就要以全能者為喜樂,向神仰起臉來。
27'You will pray to Him, and He will hear you; And you will pay your vows.
27你要禱告他,他就聽你;你也要還你的願。
28'You will also decree a thing, and it will be established for you; And light will shine on your ways.
28你定意要做何事,必然給你成就;亮光也必照耀你的路。
29'When you are cast down, you will speak with confidence, And the humble person He will save.
29人使你降卑,你仍可說:必得高升;謙卑的人,神必然拯救。
30'He will deliver one who is not innocent, And he will be delivered through the cleanness of your hands.'
30人非無辜,神且要搭救他;他因你手中清潔,必蒙拯救。