1Then Zophar the Naamathite answered,
1拿瑪人瑣法回答說:
2'Shall a multitude of words go unanswered, And a talkative man be acquitted?
2這許多的言語豈不該回答麼?多嘴多舌的人豈可稱為義麼?
3'Shall your boasts silence men? And shall you scoff and none rebuke?
3你誇大的話豈能使人不作聲麼?你戲笑的時候豈沒有人叫你害羞麼?
4'For you have said, 'My teaching is pure, And I am innocent in your eyes.'
4你說:我的道理純全;我在你眼前潔淨。
5'But would that God might speak, And open His lips against you,
5惟願神說話;願他開口攻擊你,
6And show you the secrets of wisdom! For sound wisdom has two sides. Know then that God forgets a part of your iniquity.
6並將智慧的奧祕指示你;他有諸般的智識。所以當知道神追討你比你罪孽該得的還少。
7'Can you discover the depths of God? Can you discover the limits of the Almighty?
7你考察就能測透神嗎?你豈能盡情測透全能者嗎?
8'[They are] high as the heavens, what can you do? Deeper than Sheol, what can you know?
8他的智慧高於天,你還能做甚麼?深於陰間,你還能知道甚麼?
9'Its measure is longer than the earth And broader than the sea.
9其量比地長,比海寬。
10'If He passes by or shuts up, Or calls an assembly, who can restrain Him?
10他若經過,將人拘禁,招人受審,誰能阻擋他呢?
11'For He knows false men, And He sees iniquity without investigating.
11他本知道虛妄的人;人的罪孽,他雖不留意,還是無所不見。
12'An idiot will become intelligent When the foal of a wild donkey is born a man.
12空虛的人卻毫無知識;人生在世好像野驢的駒子。
13'If you would direct your heart right And spread out your hand to Him,
13你若將心安正,又向主舉手;
14If iniquity is in your hand, put it far away, And do not let wickedness dwell in your tents;
14你手裡若有罪孽,就當遠遠地除掉,也不容非義住在你帳棚之中。
15'Then, indeed, you could lift up your face without [moral] defect, And you would be steadfast and not fear.
15那時,你必仰起臉來毫無斑點;你也必堅固,無所懼怕。
16'For you would forget [your] trouble, As waters that have passed by, you would remember [it].
16你必忘記你的苦楚,就是想起也如流過去的水一樣。
17'Your life would be brighter than noonday; Darkness would be like the morning.
17你在世的日子要比正午更明,雖有黑暗仍像早晨。
18'Then you would trust, because there is hope; And you would look around and rest securely.
18你因有指望就必穩固,也必四圍巡查,坦然安息。
19'You would lie down and none would disturb [you], And many would entreat your favor.
19你躺臥,無人驚嚇,且有許多人向你求恩。
20'But the eyes of the wicked will fail, And there will be no escape for them; And their hope is to breathe their last.'
20但惡人的眼目必要失明。他們無路可逃;他們的指望就是氣絕。